The 2019 Distinguished Service Award recipient is Marcia E. Moore
Marcia E. Moore
is the Herbarium Assistant and Database Curator of the Friesner Herbarium of Butler University. She received her Master’s of Science degree in Biological Sciences from Butler University, and also holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology and a Bachelor of Arts degree in Chemistry from Purdue University Indianapolis. Marcia manages the online Friesner Herbarium digital collection project, and is the coordinator of the Indiana Plant Atlas (www.indiana.plantatlas.usf.edu), a customized, web-based, county-level interactive tool that compiles and shares research about Indiana flora with the world, starting with botanical resources from the Friesner Herbarium. She also is responsible for the content and management of the Friesner Herbarium website, including the Marion County Flora Searchable Database. Along with Dr. Rebecca Dolan, previous Director of the Friesner Herbarium, she has earned numerous grants supporting the work of the Herbarium, Indiana State Library Memory Project, City of Indianapolis Department of Parks and Recreation, Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Indianapolis Public Schools, The Nature Conservancy, and the United States Forest Service.
Marcia has been a dedicated, hard-working individual for the Academy for twenty-five years. Because this is an award honoring service to the Academy, listed below are many of her contributions to the Academy over the years:
Marcia E. Moore represents the highest dedication to service within the Indiana Academy of Science and we are honored to confer the Distinguished Service Award upon her.
- Website Coordinator, 2000–June 2009, July 2015-Present
- Named Fellow of the Academy in 2013
- Chair, Awards Committee, 2013 - present
- Chair, Plant Systematics and Biodiversity Section, 2014 – 2015, 2018 - 2019
- Biodiversity and Natural Areas committee member since 2002
- Published in the Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science with Dr. Rebecca Dolan
- Presented a Hot Topic in 2015 with Dr. Rebecca Dolan: Indiana Plant Atlas – An Online Tool for Everyone to See What Grows Where
- Annual Meeting Presentations several times with Dr. Dolan and others
- Recipient of an IAS Community Grant for Indiana Flora Project – Development of a Customized Web-based Indiana Plant Atlas
- Designed the Program Abstracts booklet and helped coordinate arrangements for the IAS Fall meeting, held at Butler University in 2002.
- Designed a membership brochure in 1999
- Designed the IAS Taxonomic Experts booklet 1998 which was used to help establish the "Find a Scientist" link on the current IAS website
- Collated the data for the Directory of Natural History Collections Housed in Indiana, a project of the Biological Survey Committee.