Indiana Community Grants
Since 1885, the Indiana Academy of Science has supported the scientific research and science education of our state's scientists and science students. It is one of the oldest scientific professional membership organizations in the United States, the only multidisciplinary scientific organization in the state of Indiana, and is dedicated to promoting scientific research, diffusing scientific information, improving education in the sciences, and encouraging communication and cooperation among scientists.
For many years, the Academy has been committed to offering science education projects and programs through Indiana community partners. These partnerships have allowed us to touch the lives of many. The Academy is very proud to continue this tradition and has now formalized our INDIANA COMMUNITY GRANTS initiative. Through a careful review process, the leadership of the Academy will work together to award science education community grants to Indiana Academy of Science senior scientists each year. These grants will help provide funding for science education projects and programming by other organizations with similar goals as the Academy, and further the importance of Indiana science.
The Indiana Academy of Science Community Grants will be distributed through a competitive process to Indiana Academy of Science senior scientist members in good standing who have been actively involved in the work of the Academy for at least 3 consecutive years, to include attendance and participation in the Academy Annual Meetings. Members serving on the Indiana Community Grants Committee are ineligible for receipt of a Indiana Community Grant. Preference will be given to:
Grant requests should be emailed to CommunityGrantofINAcademyofSci@gmail.com by April 2, 2021, to receive full consideration for the 2021 grant cycle.
- Senior scientists members who will be directly involved in the delivery of the proposed project or program,
- A well-written request that provide a clear and compelling detailed description of the objective of the project or program, and a well thought-out evaluation design.
- Proposals from organizations that have a wide reach in the State of Indiana and hold a current tax-exempt status under Section 501©(3), or (19) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Academy members may submit only one grant request per year, and an organization can only receive one grant from the Academy per fiscal year. Please include the following in your request:
- Your name, email, and telephone number (must be a senior scientist member of the Indiana Academy of Science)
- A description of the project or program for which you are requesting grant support, together with your evaluation plan.
- Your role in this project or program.
- The name and address of the organization to receive the grant, with contact person’s name and their contact information.
- Full cost of this project or program.
- The amount you are requesting from the Indiana Academy of Science.
- The Academy realizes we may not be able to fund all worthy requests.
- The Academy reserves the right to adjust the amount awarded to each organization without prior notice.
- A description of other support from organizations that have agreed to fund this project/program.
The Academy member will be notified of any decision via email after June 1, 2020. All funding requests will be final. If an organization is approved, grant checks will be mailed directly to the recipient organization’s address listed in the grant application, after June 1. Please allow two to four weeks for delivery.
Grant funds may not be used to promote or engage in criminal acts of violence, terrorism, hate crimes, the destruction of any state, or discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, religion, military and veteran status, disability, sex, age, gender identity or sexual orientation, or support of any entity that engages in these activities.
All grant applications are made subject to the Indiana Academy of Science review of the organization’s reputation and activities and the organization’s agreement to comply with the terms and conditions of the Indiana Academy of Science. The Indiana Academy of Science reserves the right to decline funding to any organization based on the Academy’s review of the organization’s reputation and activities.